Ursula Philpot Advanced Practice Dietitian
Ursula is freelance consultant Dietitian who believes that good nutrition is essential for good health; her philosophy is to provide nutritional advice that is based on sound science and is practical and realistic. Ursula has specialist knowledge of dietetic practice in the following areas:
- Eating disorders
- Disordered eating
- Mental health
- Practical work - eating out and preparing meals.
- Weight management
- Medical nutrition therapy including: IBS, PCOS, Diabetes
- NHS England’s Expert Reference Group for Eating Disorders 2019
- NICE Guidelines Development Group for Eating Disorders 2017
- NICE Quality Standards for Eating Disorders 2018
- Expert Reference Group: NHS England. Adult Eating Disorders: Community, Inpatient and Intensive Day Patient Care - Guidance for commissioners and providers 2019
- MSc Nutrition and Dietetics
- Post Graduate Certificate In Higher Education
- British Dietetic Association
- Health & Social Care Professionals Council registered
Ursula has a specialist interest in eating disorders, disordered eating, mental health and all types of weight management. Ursula is a qualified teacher for higher education at Leeds Beckett University. She has published book chapters and academic papers in the area of evidenced based practice in nutrition, behaviour change and eating disorders, and teaches both nationally and internationally. Ursula has featured on Channel 4 television’s Supersize vs Superskinny BBC Breakfast , Sky News, Five Live, Radio 4 and numerous Channel 4 productions.
All treatments are individualised and take a holistic approach to support individuals to understand how their condition has developed and how they can optimize self-management. All treatments are integrated with psychological support taken from cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioural therapy (DBT), motivational interviewing (MI) to give individuals skills and strategies optimise behaviour change. Most clients will require a minimum of 4 sessions to implement and evaluate dietary change and work on getting the best behaviour change strategies for themselves; these sessions can be a mix of face to face full or half sessions and e-mail/ phone/ skype depending on the client’s needs and what is practical.
Referrals are accepted from GPs, Consultants and clients can also contact Ursula directly for self-referrals.
Ursula also offers Skype/ e-mail and phone sessions
Teaching and Training
Ursula is a qualified teacher for higher education, and holds the post of senior lecturer at Leeds Metropolitan University. She is an experienced conference speaker, and has delivered a range of teaching and training packages for NHS and private health care trusts (evaluations on request). She has contributed to a range of national guidance documents and book chapters and can offer customized teaching and training within the field of nutrition and mental health, and offer clinical supervision to Dietitians new to practice.
Traviss-Turner, G. Philpot U et al. (2018). "Guided self-help to manage binge eating in a dietetic-led community weight management service." Journal of Clinical Obesity 8(4): 250-257.
Clinical supervision is available to Dietitian's new to practice
Examples of recent teaching and training packages:
- Behaviour change skills training for Dietitian's
- Communication skills training for Dietitian's
- Nutritional Management of Eating Disorders
- Application of Psychological Techniques to Dietetics
Ursula is an experienced in working with the media and production companies and can communicate complex scientific and nutritional information into easy to understand messages. Nutritional Consultancy can be provided both on and off camera to ensure the goals of the programme makers are achieved.
Ursula has a range of published work in consumer and academic press, and can communicate complex scientific information in concise and accurate way.